Severe Weather and Emergency School Closure Details
Should there be the need for any closure of the school due to extreme weather or other emergency conditions these are the procedures we will follow. They have been recommended by the local authority but also follow our evaluation of our procedures following any necessary closures in the past.
Any decision to close the school as a result of severe weather will be taken in the light of local conditions and an assessment of risk in relation to safety and appropriate staffing levels. The decision will be made in consultation with the Chair of Governors. Where possible, advanced warning will be given but parents should follow the steps below if they need to check the status of the school in the mornings. Obviously parents need to make their own judgements about travelling to school having taken into account their local conditions but, rest assured, we will do all that we can to ensure that the school is closed only when completely unavoidable.
The following methods will be used to notify parents:
- Parents will receive an e-mail
- A message will be sent via the Milford Junior App
- Information will be posted on the Milford Junior School website
- School closure notifications will appear on the Somerset County Council website.
The following radio stations will publicise school closures on their website and broadcast via:
- BBC – Somerset Sound. 95.5 FM, 1566 MHz
- Heart FM. 102.6 FM, 97.1 FM
- Breeze FM. 100.8 FM, 102.4 FM, or 107.4 FM
Should a subsequent day(s) of closure be necessary, the methods listed above will be used to notify all parents. Please ensure your contact details are up to date with the school.